GCSE English Literature Poetry essay?
August 5th, 2013
Question: Compare how the writers present females in two poems from the Pre-1914 Poetry Bank. The poems "My Last Duchess" (MLD) and "Sonnet 130" both analyse the ways females are seen from the male perspective. Shakespeare criticises the conventional attitude towards women in his "Sonnet 130"; Browning, however, explores the attitude of the Duke towards his Duchess.In "MLD", it is abundantly clear how the poetic voice sees women: as "object[s]". The Duke only appreciates his wife in the form of a fresco; even in this form, however, he is critical of her. Although the Duke had right to be jealous of the fact his Duchess "looks went everywhere", his desperation for power over his wife should not have led to "all smiles" stopping altogether. The Duke’s critical, objectifying attitude towards his Duchess is, possibly, supposed to be extended to the general attitude towards women. The writer of "MLD" vividly presents women as inhumane entities, rather than living beings – the writer’s comments may either be criticising the general attitude towards women, or sympathising towards this attitude. Assuming the writers attitude were to criticise societies attitude towards women, "Sonnet 130" can be paralleled to "MLD". In this poem, Shakespeare highlights the absurdity of treating women as "goddesses". In a similar way to "MLD", Shakespeare’s use of satire emphasises how, conventionally, women were placed upon a pedestal and objectified unrealistically. It is clear that Shakespeare is disdainful towards the conventional attitude towards women; this is clear as his poem adopts the use of ‘conventional love language’ – "love", "lips", "breasts" – but then contrasts them, denoting his mistresses appearance as being repulsive.The ending to "Sonnet 130" furthers Shakespeare’s critical attitude: he states, indirectly, that women don’t have to be beautiful to be adored rather they should have special, lovable characteristics. In "Sonnet 130", therefore, the poetic voice presents how conventionally – akin to "MLD" – women were objectified. However, unlike "MLD", Shakespeare offers an alternate viewpoint towards women – their true, innate personality. The structure of each poem is also significant. "MLD" is written as a dramatic monologue. This along with the enjambment accentuates the poetic voices attitude towards women. He feels that men should have total control over their wife, and hence, the persona does not pause. The ending of the poem also allows the reader to appreciate the poetic voices attitude towards women. At the start, when the persona is discussing his wife he objectifies her; when talking about his future Duchess he does the same thing. The lack of change in the persona’s attitude highlights his possessive, objective attitude towards women.Shakespeare’s "Sonnet 130", uses structure to further emphasise the poems main ideas. The poem is presented as a sonnet; conventionally, these were written to or about women, overly-praising their beauty. By adopting this structure, but relying on images that veto such conventions, Shakespeare successfully denotes his viewpoint that actually, objectifying women is both wrong and false.Both "Sonnet 130" and "MLD" use language and structure to talk about attitudes towards women, hence presenting how females were viewed. However, the persona of "MLD" is of the impression that such attitudes are correct, whereas Shakespeare believes the opposite: he is of the impression that our objectification of women is misjudged and unrealistic. --------WHat do you think?A* OR A OR B ....
- HELP. Need an introduction for an essay on Romeo + Juliet. For tomorrow! Please? - The title is:Explore how strong emotions are expressed in Romeo and Juliet and Collections of Poetry. I’m mainly focusing on Love, Grief and Madness.We have to compare the play and it’s feelings to the poems ‘My Last Duchess’ – Robert Browning. ‘The Laboratory’ also by Robert Browning and Sonnet 130, 116 & 18′ By Shakespeare.
- How ON EARTH Do I Structure This Essay? - It must have:– An introductiom- Information on the play I am studying and 3 poems- Compare the Shakespeare text with the 3 poems- Compare the 3 poems with each other- ConclusionBut how should I structure it, and what shall I include?
User tags:Compare and contrast To His Coy Mistress and My Last Duchesswriting a poetry
- English essay help – based around sonnets? - ‘Compare how poets have used the sonnet form to express a variety of ideas and emotions. You should consider:• Form and Content• Language• ContextIn at least five of the sonnets you have studied’- I have to complete an English Essay based on Sonnets. The 5 sonnets I have selected are:- Sonnet 18 by William Shakespeare- Sonnet 130
- Sonnet quotes? - if i’m writing an essay and i need to add a quote from a sonnet, how would i quote it? doesnt it include lines? for a book, it would be…”Hello, my name’s Bob” (Shakespeare 45).Shakespeare is the author and 45 is the page
User tags:Compare and contrast To His Coy Mistress and My Last Duchesswriting a
- Help on a poem that i have to analyze for an essay please?!? - Help on a poem that i have to analyze for an essay please?!?Maya Angelou’s poem “On the Pulse of Morning” ..It’s the poem she wrote for Bill Clinton’s inauguration.I have to write an essay on it but i’m not sure what the message of the poem is. Also, i have to add the poetic elements
- I need some other ways of saying “sleep with”- and I’m not just asking this to get attention or anything.? - Please, I’m writing an English essay and I have to compare 2 poems. They are “To His Coy Mistress” (Marvell) and “Sonnet XII” (Shakespeare). They both have the same theme- of the damage of Time and Death and the conclusion that the way to outwit them both is to indulge in sexual pleasure- and I’ve
- Working on a MacBeth essay and need help with a sentence.? - the topic i choose was, “What is the image of ‘manhood’ that Shakespeare presents in MacBeth?”the sentence is:Shakespeare’s ability to use the tragedy of Macbeth to envelop the concept of ‘manhood’ throughout the play by constructing Macbeth as a valiant hero of the kingdom of Scotland. what do you think a can add to make
- Compare and contrast To His Coy Mistress and My Last Duchess
- writing a poetry analysis essay gcse bitesize